A Leader in Instructional Technology
Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error and was unable to complete your request. Either the server is overloaded or there is an error in the application.
1:1 Device Information
As the premier private school in Tampa Bay, Canterbury prides itself on providing students cutting-edge technology along with the training required to use it responsibly.
Canterbury provides grade-level appropriate technology that supports and enhances our curriculum. Students in Grades 1 - 6 use a school-provided iPad for the 1:1 program. Students in Grades 7 - 8 use a school-provided Chromebook. A minimal Technology Fee is added for the use of the school-provided device, network, security, educational apps, and subscriptions.
- Students in Grades 1 and 2 are given iPads at the beginning of the school year which are collected at the end. The in-school use of the iPads prepares students to take them home when they enter Grade 3.
- Students in Grades 3 - 6 pay for the use of a school-provided iPad and all its preloaded apps through a minimal Technology Fee. The iPads are given to students at the beginning of the school year and collected at the end. Students may take them home every day and often have homework that must be completed on them.
- Students in Grades 7 and 8 pay for the use of school-provided Chromebooks through an Academic Materials/Technology Fee. Chromebooks are given to students at the beginning of the school year with all apps and student e-textbooks pre-loaded onto them for use by the student both at school and at home. They are collected at the end of the year. Students use Chromebooks in Grade 8 to learn to become comfortable with using and navigating different digital platforms, just as they will need to in their professional lives.
Ebooks & Apps
A number of age-appropriate, educational apps are preloaded onto all 1:1 devices. Students are given logins to apps and instructions on how to use them during the first week of school. Teachers frequently assign homework using these apps.
Technology Goals and Outcomes
Below are just a few of the goals and anticipated outcomes that continue to drive our 1:1 initiative:
- Grades 1 - 6 for 1:1 iPads
- Grades 7 - 8 for 1:1 Chromebook
What the research tells us:
- In a study done by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt in California showed that students using iPads saw their math test scores increase 20% in one year compared to students using traditional textbooks. Source: CNN Tech
- Another study centered on the iPad game Motion Math, which helps with fundamental math skills. Fifth graders who regularly played the game for 20 minutes per day over a five-day period increased their test scores by 15 percent on average. Source: Game Desk